Just some notes on the Location, the Time and nearby places of interest.
- Event: https://www.meetup.com/Tokyo-Global-Career-Information-Exchange/events/241346138/
- Location: Ebisu Garden Place - Meet in the lobby by the statue (opposite Starbucks, not pictured)
- Nearby Places of Interest: Heavenly Vines Wine Shop http://canadawine.yi.shopserve.jp/
It is to the right hand side across the America Bashi bridge, and cross 1 more street, and it is about 50 meters down the street on the left hand side.
Past User Stories (over 100 people in the past 23 meetups)
- A member working in the US before and really enjoyed it (sent overseas by company(
- A college student in NY who was interviewing for a job in Tokyo
- A member of a startup in Tokyo from Indonesia who had worked at Rakuten
- An employee of an ecommerce company who was interested in overseas careers
- An Australian student who was in Tokyo for the summer who was interested in working in Tokyo
- A video game producer from Japan who wanted to work in Germany
- A Japanese lady deciding on her CPA and whether to work in Australia
- A member who worked as an intern in Los Angeles on a J-1 visa working for a travel company
- A person who is retraining as an IT network engineer visited along with his Italian friend who wanted to work in Japan
- A Japanese employee of a large property insurance company who is interested in working overseas
- A Korean female developer working in Tokyo interested in exploring international career options
- A lady who decided to work in Singapore, took a flight, and then started interviewing with recruitment companies to get a work pass, and worked for two companies
- A computer graphics professional who wanted to explore working for a foreign company and starting an international career
- A person with a sales assistant background who won the green card lottery in the US and started a career working in the United States for a Japanese company she was introduced to by a recruiter.
- A lady from China who has worked in Japan for 5 years, and wants to work in Singapore in Accounting, and is figuring out her career path through either IT or accounting
Introduce yourself to other members at the Meetup
In case of having to move the venue, or splitting the group
We will decide after we all meet. We will break into small groups. There are two refreshment areas with seating areas for 10 people on the 18th floor, and another 10 people on the 17th floor.
I am anticipating about 12 people so that could be two groups of 6 people or 3 groups of 4.
Some topics of discussion can be :
- What country do you want to work in?
- Have you ever worked overseas?
- Where are you from?
- What makes you interested to come tonight?
- What is your background?
- What makes working overseas interesting?
- What is most scary about changing jobs or working overseas?
- Are you interested in a working holiday visa?
- Do you ever think about starting a business overseas?
- Do you want to study overseas or travel overseas?
- How did you get interested in your career?
What stage of the Job Search process is the biggest challenge when applying from overseas?
- Finding a job that will provide a visa
- Getting a visa
- Deciding to change jobs
- Deciding to live overseas
- Taking a pay cut
- Finding an apartment, health insurance, place to live
- Telling my family
- Conducting an interview in English
- Being on a phone interview
- Introducing myself as a job applicant/asset to the company in an interview
- Researching jobs
- Deciding to spend a lot of money on education/career
- Leaving my friends and family
- Understanding the rules for work, visas and living overseas
- Deciding what I want to do
- Deciding what I want to study
- Making a budget for my 1st year living overseas
I would like more information on :
- Finding recruiters
- Finding companies who would hire me
- Deciding on career goals
- Finding out about visas to live and work overseas
- Finding a school I could attend overseas
- Finding jobs with foreign companies in Japan
- Getting advice on visa and application process for visas