Update for article
Finding a Job
What is a good headhunter, how to find a good recruiter
- Look on job boards, email recruiters or companies directly on the website.
- Article on recruiters in Japan linked above.
The best way to find a headhunter is to look at their website, see if the jobs they are advertising and the industries they cover also include people like you or with your skills, experience and background. When you apply to jobs, see how closely they might fit, because recruiters might also have jobs that they don't advertise.
What to do when a recruiter keeps sending me to the same company
Internet job boards – Daijob.com, careercross.com, and gaijinpot.com
- Post your resume, and also use it to research companies
Getting a permanent position or a temp position
- A temp position (haken) can be a foot in the door
Getting an interview
- Identifying the obstacles (age, language, experience, resume format…)
Frequency of Job Changes on a resume- Is that something that comes up in your interviews?
Preparing a Resume
What does a Resume say to Recruiters or Companies
- Does your experience limit you or open your self to new challenges? Try to get feedback from a recruiter on how to improve your resume
How to explain different jobs on the resume, changes in career paths
- Try to find a common point with interviewers or the job, and practice your story for why you fit the profile for the job
Japanese-style interviews and working in a Japanese company
- Character is looked for in interviews, so try to use Japanese, show respect for the country and living here, and try to match your career goals with long-term view of working in Japan.
- Working in a foreign company, hours to speak with colleagues overseas
- How long is your resume – shortening older jobs, and describing what you do
- Having multiple resumes, aiming for different jobs
Internet job board lists
- Three main bilingual internet job boards, but many smaller Japanese language only boards
- 40 - 50 bilingual recruiters targeting hiring in Japan
Staffing company list
Using Linkedin to refer or be referred
Writing a Resume from Danny Choo, but also most recruiters have advice and tips on their websites.