- We started a Github Repo, and you can download all our articles from there.
- For online events, check out our Facebook group
- Check your resume or ask someone you trust to review it. It should be in active voice, tying your actions to the results of your employer to show your value to the company.
- Japanese and English versions of a resume are good to submit, hiring managers might prefer to use the Japanese version during the interview. It can be in the same format as your English resume, unless specifically requested to submit in “rirekisho” format.
- Look at different formats http://www.americasjobexchange.com/career-advice/types-of-resume-formats
- Further explanation of formats https://www.thebalancecareers.com/resume-formats-with-examples-and-formatting-tips-2063591
- Visual representation https://www.cpresumes.com/resume-samples/
What does a Resume say to Recruiters or Companies?
Does your experience limit you or open your self to new challenges? Try to get feedback from a recruiter on how to improve your resume
How to explain different jobs on the resume and changes in career paths?
Try to find a common point with interviewers or the job, and practice your story for why you fit the profile for the job
Talking about Japanese-style interviews and working in a Japanese company
Character is looked for in interviews, so try to use Japanese, show respect for the country and living here, and try to match your career goals with long-term view of working in Japan.
How might it compare to working in a foreign company?
There can be longer hours worked or more flexible starting times in order to speak with colleagues overseas in Europe, America or elsewhere in the world.
How long is your resume?
It is said that hiring managers only look at the first page of a resume. Do you need to shorten your older jobs, and edit the descriptions of what you have done in each job?
Should you have more than one resume?
It depends if you are applying for more than one type of job. Having multiple resumes because you are aiming for different jobs is an approach I favor because the resumes can highlight your separate skills, work experience and how you are the best person for the job.